Are you folks using and referring to SOAP v2.1? If I am not wrong,
Apache/SOAP v2.2 is no longer using the xerces, it is rather using
the JAXP whch has two RIs, crimson and xalan.

In v2.2 scenario, the size of crimson is only 183KB and 28KB for
jaxp. Adding both of them just end up with 211KB  only. So it ends
up with 211KB without even trimming the package.

If above case applies to both of you, 211KB is a good deal compare
to 556KB. Isn't it?

Am I missing something here?

Pae