It was at least a classpath problem, i  did the follwing:

- dropped soap.war in in jboss/deploy (thanks to

http://www.jboss.org/forums/thread.jsp?forum=51&thread=917&hilite=true&q=soap+%22Error+in+connecting+to+EJB%22&start=0)

- checked that JAF, javamail-api and soap.jar where in the classpath on the server
  thanks to http://www.soapuser.com/server3.html

- modified JBOSS_HOME/bin/run.sh to have the classpath contain the jboss/deploy
  directory:

JBOSS_CLASSPATH=$JBOSS_CLASSPATH:/opt/JBoss-2.4.3_Tomcat-3.2.3/jboss/deploy/helloservice.jar
  I guess this expaned tomcat's classpath the the ejb-jar?

Bernd