Title: Do I need a serializer ?

I'm a beginner with SOAP, and have been reading a lot of documentation on it.  I'm a bit confused about whether or not I need a serializer.

What I'm trying to build:

I want to use the RPC router servlet to provide a SOAP interface to our existing platform.  Outside clients would make requests to our platform by sending XML request messages (in SOAP format).  They would receive responses also in XML.

So I basically need to take the XML message, grab the data out and instantiate a bean to pass into our existing business objects.  Is this what the deserializer is meant for ?  It doesn't seem like it.  The code that does this seems very specific to the particular format of the XML message, and seems more like DOM work to me.  When I get the response back from the business object, I have to take the data out of the javabean, and construct an XML message to be sent back to the client.  This once agains seems very specific, and NOT serializer work.

If I'm right in my assumptions, do I need a serializer/deserializer then ??

Thanks for any help.