Hi Sanjiva ,
           This makes a lot of sense to me . For folks that have been
using / certifying their applications with  the 2.2 release(and have not
yet adopted Axis)  , handling bugs / features introduced in future
builds means having to go through cvs and figure out exactly which files
changed and patch them in .
e.g i am still trying to locate all the files changed  to support the
switching the Current Schema version to 2001 .
Simply changing Constants.java does not solve the problem completely .

This is ugly and when customers are involved , there is the greater risk
that if they make their own
 changes in the 2.2 install to support their own app specific changes  ,
they might overwrite the changes shipped out to them .

Having a 2.3 release will bring in all such changes  over the last year
into one version .

Thanks -
Raghavan