I am no Tomcat expert, but here are some things I think I know.

1. Note that if you deploy the webapp by copying the war file to the
webapps directory, you must delete its exploded directory in order for a
new war file to take its place.  For this reason, it may be better to
install a webapp on Tomcat by exploding (jar -x...) it directly, rather
than dropping the war file in place.  See "Deployment with Tomcat 4" at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/deployment.html.

2. If you define a Context for the SOAP webapp in server.xml, you can
specify that it is reloadable like this

        <Context path="/examples" docBase="examples" debug="0"
                 reloadable="true">

   I *think* this means it will check for changes and re-load classes
automatically, but I may be wrong.

3. You can use the Tomcat manager app to reload a webapp on demand.  See
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/manager-howto.html.

4. Tomcat also provides ant tasks to deploy, reload, undeploy, etc., if
you prefer ant.  I'm not sure where those docs are.

Scott Nichol