Yes you can use SSL but it is a different story. You have to configure SSL for both Client and Server side, install the CA certificate, configure the keystore etc. For example, look at Tomcat SSL how-to at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/ssl-howto.html.

Daniel Z

Nige White wrote:

My boss has just looked at the SOAP client/server system I wrote. I substituted my generated SOAP java client classes in for the Synergy-created java client classes, (I made sure all the method signatures were identical) and ran the web app. It talked to my SOAP server just fine.

Looking at the network traffic, it's obvious that SOAP is quite bandwidth-intensive. The Synergy RPC protocol is primitive but very compact, and my boss has basically vetoed the move to SOAP because of the bandwidth constraints (We host our customers' web apps in-house, and those web apps use RPC back to the customer's servers to access their data!!! Weird... don't ask - it's the way "they" want it)

My question is, is it possible to tell Apache SOAP to compress the HTTP request? With it being textual data, we could achieve quite good compression rates.

Also, can Apache SOAP use SSL? Can I just specify an "https://..."; URL in my Call.invoke()?

Thanks for any help.

Nige