If you have an interest in having the AMA recognize scale soaring as a
significant movement in R/C modeling, read this proposal. (See link below)
We have been given unprecidented permission to run this event as a
provisional event NEXT JULY Saturday 22 2000. We can do this because of the
great cooperation of Alden Shipp (event director for the LSF NATS 1999),
Steve Kaluf (AMA Technical Director), and others in these organizations. The
venue will be fantastic. Two intertsecting paved runways, plus acres of
grass for those not liking black top. We have a whole day to run the event
plus some time Friday afternoon for practice flying.
The official proposal before the AMA needs your support. This is a three
year process. The proposal is now open to comments and support. Please call
or write your district scale contest board member and register your support
for this important opportunity to bring the AMA event into the 21rst
Century. The hitch is that this "soaring" event is governed by the SCALE
CONTEST board, not the Soaring Contest board, as it is classified as a scale
event. I will post their addresses on the linked page. In order to make
complete sense of the proposal change, you may need to see the entire
existing set of rules for Sport Scale 517.

It is listed in the blue rule book or available online at The AMA Web Site:
The AMA has not published the rules change proposal because of its length,
nor is it on their web site yet. Please contact your or any of the Contest
board members if you support our efforts. The proposal is a group effort.
Pete George CD, Bob Harold CD NATs Sport scale 517, and I, have combined
efforts to make this a fair proposal. We had a public disscusion, as many of
you may have seen, on Robin Lehman's message board last year. (Still
available on line) If it matters to you, please get involved by registering
your support.  If we can unite behind one proposal then it stands a very
good chance of passing.
The proposal has now moved to the cross proposal phase. There will be
adjustments to this proposal as we move along. We don't anticipate any major
changes. The winch launch weight limit will probably be increased, as the
AMA has suggested their winches will launch heavier than 25 pound
sailplanes. We have not recieved an upward limit yet.

 John Derstine,Pete George, Bob Harold
E-mail; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Scale Soaring: http://www.Geocities.com/~scalesoar