From: Monkey King [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2001 1:00 PM
To: John Derstine
Cc: glidergeek; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [RCSE] Canards-- what a canard!!!

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, John Derstine wrote:

> There are not more canards for the same reason we keep QWERTY next to each
> other on a computer keyboard.
> Typwriter keyboards were designed so that a fast typist could not jamb the
> arms when typing quickly. It was discovered early that putting the above
> letters in that order would solve that problem.

Actually, the design is to put frequently-used combinations in slightly
awkward positions so they don't get hit at the same time.  That applies to
the entire keyboard, not just the qwerty combo.

> Today there is no need to do
> that, but we still hang on to the convention of QWERTY, there is no reason
> to do so today, it is a habit, a convention mindlessly branded into our
> culture. It would probably be easier to teach children to type in
> alphabetical order, but we cannot divorce ourself of our mindset.

<sigh...> That mistake is made *all the time*.  Alphabetical keyboards
are, for all intents and purposes, random.  As a random layout, they are
difficuly to use.  The Dvorak keyboard, for instance, supposedly solves
the qwerty problem.  It makes a bit more theoretical sense than qwerty,
but it beats the pants off of any random (including alphabetical) layout.

> Maybe it
> is too much trouble to retool our minds and preconceptions. Perhaps it
would
> be too expensive to shift production and impossible to retrain everyone.

It's actually not that hard.  It's like typing on a European keyboard if
you're American.  You pick it up pretty easily.

> Conventional tailed aircraft are not better, but it is culturally
ingrained
> as the way to do it.

Which is weird since the Wrights used canards.  Rutan likes them because
they offer maneuverability without sacrificing stability.  I like them
because they're sexy.