Would it be more accurate to describe this as a "software radio" rather than
just stating that it uses "PLL technology"? My old Prism 7 uses PLL
synthesizer technology to allow me to set it to any channel instead of
having to change a crystal. That's old news, its used in practically every
radio receiver that's made these days (its a lot cheaper than the old
variable capacitor / pulley / drive system!). This radio sounds like a
Korean version of the Berg, a Digital Signal Processor based device.

Adding a Digital Signal Processor into a radio changes everything. It would
be true to say that the capabilities of the radio then become determined by
how big a DSP you want to use and how ingenious and skilled the DSP
programmers are. "Big" in DSP terms doesn't have to be very large physically
or in terms of power these days -- you only need something hot and heavy if
you're processing video. The DSP that's in these radios is probably similar
to the one in your cellphone, an application that's a lot more complex than
even the most exotic R/C receiver. (To illustrate just how ingenious
programmers can be a company has recently announced code components that
when added to a cellphone's firmware allow it to receive and process GPS --
a very useful idea because adding a real GPS receiver to a phone adds
significant cost and power drain.)

These soft radios will be very capable but they won't be perfect because the
signal format used in R/C isn't designed to be tolerant to interference. I
suspect that the hyper selectivity issue isn't how they discriminate between
transmitters, it would make more sense to try and correllate on the
properties of the R/C frame.

The Koreans -- or Berg for that matter -- will have to come clean about what
they're doing before I'll use their receivers. I like the idea of a soft
radio but I don't like magic, clever code tends to get very expensive to
test and the possibilities for interesting 'bugs' that cause planes to fall
out of the sky increase. Sometimes conservative technology is the best to
use.

Martin Usher