>If I am not mistaken, they are on 27meg and AMA has had a lot of input in
to this (Marc Gellart)

Alas, they're not. There are a lot of models sold with 27MHz radios but
there are also a significant number of models sold with 72MHz radios. Those
have the potential to be a big source of trouble. Its not the displaced
electric fliers at the local park, the AMA guys who know where we are and
the potential for interference. Its the person with the electric helicopter
or slow flier who's not a member of a club, a person who may be literally
flying in their back yard. If their experience is from R/C cars then they
will have little idea of the range the airplane radios have and the amount
of chaos they can cause.

Its not urban legend -- we've got scanners. Unfortunately its a bit late to
track down the interference after the plane has gone down. Most channel
usage is R/C but we do also share our model band with a church's radio
microphone (we get sermons in both English and Spanish)(that took out an
Addiction).

Complacency was one of the dangers I mentioned in my original post. There
are a lot of reasons why the problem tends to creep up on you. One is the
nature of radio propagation and the location of your field (if you're out in
the sticks then you have nothing much to worry about). What we're seeing is
a steady increase in channel useage, I believe we have about 5 out on our
field now most Sundays plus the three taken down by the radio microphone.
Yes, we can work around it, but you never know when someone goes out and
buys something with another radio and takes another channel out -- 'my'
channel has been quiet for years, but last Sunday we looked and its now
occupied. We're intending to spend a post-Visalia Sunday morning tracking
down these fliers to try and get them to work with us -- maybe grab a peg or
call in to reserve channels.

Our club has been in contact with both the FCC and the AMA, the FCC about
the wireless microphone, the AMA about the problem of frequency conflicts.
So far the FCC has come back with encouraging statements like "72MHz? Do we
allow R/C on 72MHz?" and the AMA seems to be in "Don't talk about it and
maybe it will go away" mode.

Martin Usher