John,

I'm a real-time pilot, who thought "Learning to fly models will
be duck soup."

I tried flying the Cessna 182 from the ground using MS
Flight Simulator 98, and promptly crashed twice -- made me a little
nervous.  So I picked up a copy of RealFlight Simulator recently off
RCOnline.com.

I crashed the PT-40 Trainer 200 times the first night after loading up the
software.  2nd night, less than 40 crashes.  3rd night, tried the Piper Cub
with fantastic success, getting back to a safe landing on the runway may 50%
of the time.

4th night and ever since - I've been flying the pants of the PT-19 (my
favorite) and the P-51.  And I'm now quite comfortable doing figure 8's low
to the
ground out in front of me.

I recommend RealFlight very highly as a means of saving a lot of crashing,
rebuilding, and discouragement out at the model flying site.  I'm using
Great Planes' "fake" Futaba TX.  I dislike flying without ailerons, but will
have to train myself on rudder-elevator only, since most 2-meter floater
type gliders are not equipped with ailerons.

An experienced R/C pilot tried the program, and said, "No wonder!  The
simulator's PT-40 doesn't really behave right."  He thought the Piper Cub
simulator, however, was superb.  He has a Carl Goldberg Cub which he has
been flying for 12 years -- no crashes.

Another real time pilot stopped over a few days ago.  And in three minutes,
he had me doing pretty straight aileron rolls (no loss of altitude).  Pretty
cool.

John Page
Medford, Oregon