From:   Bradley J Smith [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Thursday, August 12, 1999 7:43 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        [RCSE] Hitec HS-81MG Servo Fix

Hi all,
  I too had trouble with some HS-81MG servos I had bought, but found an easy
fix.  Two were jamming and jittering a lot.  I opened mine up since I had
already soldered new connectors on them.

  After opening the case they worked fine, but when I screwed the case back
together they started jittering and binding again.  After a few tries I
discovered there is zero clearance between the metal gears and case -- and
no lubrication between the top gear and case or on the bottom of the drive
shaft (bottom of the pot).  When I tightened the case down, the top gear was
apparently binding on the plastic cover.

The Fix:
  Put some non-conductive small motor lubricant (radio shack stuff) between
the top drive gear and case.  If you are careful you can remove the top
cover without taking the gears off and do this. Also I put a little on the
bottom of the main drive shaft where it sticks out of the pot under the
little circuit board.

  On all of my servos this fixed any erratic behaviour, and all are working
well now.  Your actual mileage may vary...and this probably voids your
warranty, but its better than missing a good thermal or losing a good plane!

Thermals!

Brad Smith