From: Mick Maxwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tom H.Nagel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 06, 1999 11:57 PM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Playing in the Cloud Street

>     Sailing offshore I have on many occasions seen "squall lines",
cumulonimbus clouds in a row as far as the horizon.  I assume,
> since it has been a long time that I have thought about weather, that the
squall line is the beginning of a well defined frontal
> system.  I have also seen and been in many thunderstorms, violent weather,
with wind shifts coming quickly depending on how you
> tract through the storm (better: how the storm passes over you).  Where
there was one there always seemed to be more.  The wind
> would be strong in one basic direction with a build up of waves with the
direction of the frontal system.
>     I do not think I have ever seen a row of simple, friendly cumulous
clouds in a "street" pattern.  As I remember it, every cloud
> has a wind pattern, down draft on the outside, updraft in the center.  I
assume that is why glider pilots, from what I have read,