Back in the good 'ol days, Bill Watson discovered kitchen shelf covering
which is made from plastic.   At the edges of my memory was one of his slope
combat plane with a tasteful sunflower motif on the wings from the shelf
covering.  It also comes in white.  The stuff is available in hardware stores
and probably home stores.  It's made from a slightly stretchy plastic with a
sticky back and it's not too expensive. I know it was applied to styrofoam
wings and it may well stick to EPP, which was unknown back then.  If someone
tries this and it works - do a post.  I have no idea how it compares to sign
vinyl but it may well be cheaper, plus think of the design possibilities!

Richard Shilling