Dan,

I'm not lucky enough to be able to comment on which fast chargers handle
NiMHs.

BUT>>>  I can tell you that a 1/10C charge for 13 hours works wonders. No
chance of catastrophic damage. Decent chance of eventually building up a
small memory problem. High chance of only getting 80 to 90% charges on a
normal basis.

I discharge my packs to 1V per cell prior to every charge. The AAA cells
are 550mah and combine outstanding power density (1.8oz) and total
reliability when used as an Rx pack in small birds. AA cells are on the
order of 1200mah and should give equally good results. The only tiny cells
I've used were oval cells from a 9V pack. I would not recommend their use.
Also, all NiMHs discharge quickly when subjected to the high heat of a
closed up car in the summer. Normal field use is no problem.

I would only peak these packs after thorough investigation of the charger
market.

Have no fear of all the "they're too fragile" hype. I've stuffed my planes
at least as well as the next guy, at least as often, and my 550's keep
cranking out four hours of flight time whenever called upon. A good crash
from HLG launch height into dirt should impart WAY more stress than you'll
see with even the most dorky TD landings.

By the way, I charge my 550 pack for 12 hours with a stock Hitec wall
charger putting out 65ma. Charge rate is important to any time-limited
charge. Rob Crockett has a cool project that will pick off just the right
charge current for your application. I built mine with four outputs, and am
able to charge 270 packs at 27ma, 150 packs at 15ma, 110 packs at 11 ma. I
also charge 50's and 120's by guesstimating the proper charge time. I think
his web page is www.razorlogic.com.

Good luck, and hopefully you'll be able to afford a real charger :-(

Derek