These mentions of Hobie Alter take me back to the beginning of my love
affair with flying RC gliders.  I vividly recall reading an article in
Sports Illustrated MANY years ago about someone (I don't remember if it was
Hobie Alter himself or not) flying his Hobie Hawk off cliffs and mountains
and such.  Well, I started investigating this sport and ended up building a
Wind Free or its equivalent and then moving up to an Oly 100.

Even though I never had a Hobie Hawk, I still have a tender felling when I
read about them, because I feel like that was in a way it was my "first"
glider.

Carl Otto