I'm taking the liberty of forwarding this to the RCSE without checking with
Doug first....I have no connection with Doug, nor do I know how knowledgeable
he is on the subject, but what the hey.

-------------------------------

   Please contact me if you have any questions about vacuum forming as it
relates to your hobby or business projects. Vacuum forming (Thermoforming)
is an easy and cheap way to make complex molded parts from a flat plastic
sheet. The process uses heat to soften the plastic and vacuum to suck it
down over a pattern.
    This is not "rocket science", anyone can build simple equipment and make
their own parts. As simple as it sounds, there are still many more ways to
do it wrong than right. I currently publish two sets of plans and a book on
the topic. I also manufactured tabletop vacuum forming machines for three
years under the name of "Hobby-Vac" ( now discontinued, sold over 500)
    If you have ever tried vacuum forming thin plastic with a kitchen oven
and a shop-vac, then you probably got poor results. Even if it got the job
done, it is possible to get 5 times more forming power without spending much
money. A good vacuum forming machine can form deep draws in 1/4 inch thick
plastic and by using female molds, you can pick up surface detail that
approaches injection molded quality.
    Although I have books and plans for sale, I will be happy to give free
advice on vacuum forming problems, homebuilt equipment, and help you decide
if its a good choice for your application. You can contact me by phone, Fax
or E-mail and request a brochure on the new Hobby-Vac construction plans, or
the larger Proto-Form construction plans, or information on my other books
and video's.

Doug Walsh
Workshop Publishing    ( formerly called Vacuum Form)
272 Morgan Hill Drive.
Lake Orion, Michigan 48360

Phone (248) 391-2974  Fax (248) 391-8290

E- Mail    [EMAIL PROTECTED]