At 09:13 AM 9/24/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Just this year (after recommendation from another pylon racer) I bought the
>crimper and raw connectors from Custom Electronics.  They work fine.  Beats
>soldering.  Will they hold up over the years?  Soldered connectors fail
>after a while ...  sooo ?  But now I find I could have gotten the crimper at
>Radio Shack - half the price.  This net is great.  Anybody on this net from
>the NBSS (late 60s to early 70s)?

Not everybody has your luck.  I have been soldering for over 50 years and
have build many servos, receivers, transmitters, etc.  Back then, if you
didn't solder, you either were as rich as Jim Walker or you didn't fly RC.
I bought one of the crimpers a few years ago and didn't have much luck.  I
rejected about half of the crimps until I ran out of connector pins.  Since
then, I buy connectors with pigtails from FMA and solder them.  Cheaper and
much less frustrating.

Chuck Anderson

PS  How many of you young flyers got the reference to Jim Walker.  :-)  He
invented (or at least got a patent on) UC and made quite a lot of money in
the 40's.  In the early 50's He toured the country in a 53 Buick Skylark
convertible towing a small Airstream trailer for his RC models.  He would
stop at various contests around the country and demonstrate RC.  The first
multichannel RC model I ever saw fly was at the free flight contest at
Winston Salem NC in the summer of 1953.  Jim flew a rather large RC model
with rudder, elevator, and engine control.  The model was powered with a
long shaft Fox 59 with a butterfly in the rectangular rear rotary valve.
He demonstrated loops, barrel rolls and other maneuvers.  His outside loops
were spectacular, especially the last one.  In order to do a complete
outside loop, Jim would give full down elevator until the model was
vertical.  He then had to throttle back to get the model to tuck under.
When inverted, he would add power to pull through the loop.  On his last
outside loop, he had radio failure when he tried to throttle back and the
model continued in a full power vertical dive all the way to the ground.
When the model was about half way to the ground, Jim handed the control box
to his assistant, said go get it, and headed back to the trailer before the
model reached the ground.