Barbara and I spent a fun morning in Visalia, just visiting and looking -
neither one of us competed.  Like the Dodgers, maybe next year.

First, we wandered up to the Official's area and asked the number of
contestants and were told: 285.  Suitably impressed, we watched the precision
handling of transmitters, flight group call-up and the launch master doing
his thing.  A marvelously well-run contest, all honor to the CVRC!

The weather was hot, the sun bright and the wind to the tail position for
launch and landing.  The landing targets were "improved" this year to a new
high -or low, depending if you're looking or landing.  I didn't measure them
but they appeared to be a bulls-eye circle about 6 feet in diameter, with two
maybe three) smaller circles inside.  This called for the "dart" landing
technique, which in many cases resulted in a flop to inverted position.  Very
challenging landing task, but how else do you declare a "winner" when the
lift is so good all over the field.  Barbara was impressed with the air.  It
was tempting for her and after all those years (we started in R/C soaring in
1971) to see a R/C sailplane go up is still magic.  She's been resisting, but
watching that lift made her want to get her thumbs on the sticks again.
Maybe when we retire!

Barbara chatted with the three women entered in the contest.  She was a
little suprised at that as there were more women competing 20 years ago!  She
and Joan Nolte had a nice visit.  Joan just got her LSF Level V goal and
return and had a good story about the flight.  It was supposed to be a
tune-up for the real flight.

The number of vendors has increased and the quality of the kits is amazing.
All the goodies a sailplane nut could want were on display.

I was disappointed that the lunch break did not have the air tow
demonstration of last year, maybe it took too long.  We did see a demo of the
10-cell electric sailplane (F5E?) that climb like a pattern ship and come
down in a glide at over a hundred miles an hour - not scale miles, real
miles.  With my reflexes I think the lifespan of such a model would be 3
minutes or one flight, whichever came first.

We left for the 4-hour drive home feeling nostalgic and full of fun from the
people we met - old friends and new.  If you didn't go to Visalia this year,
go next!

Richard Shilling
Barbara Henon