There's a water based poly-urethane which I heard works well (haven't tried
it so try it on a scrap bit of foam first). In South Africa we have fabric
paint which is sold (mostly for the home-makers) which works really well on
foam, and I paint some of my foam-and-tape models some really wacky colour
schemes!! Great stuff, and it costs about $0.75 for about 100ml!! the tape
also sticks to the paint better than to the foam alone. This paint also
forms a really thin film, so weight is not an issue.

regards
Eben