What is the float charge voltage and its temperature coefficient?
(2.430v?)
*I would use constant current source for charging battery.

Is it good to have a small charge current all the time and how much
relative to battery capacity.
*As far as L/A battery goes, it has been the best common known battery that
has the least self discharge (Nicad is known for high self discharge). So
it will build up charge with 1A or even 10mA.

How do you know the battery is fully charged / when to terminate charge?
How is this affected by the charge rate? I would look up one of the battery
*By application note at manufacturer web site. L/A battery charge can be
map onto its no load voltage. Please get on the web.

Has anyone used a float/maintanence charger and had good results with it?
What model and price?
*I guess you mean triggle charge. Find out from the mfg.'s web about the
leakage per unit capacity and then work out the discharge rate, copy this
rate as our triggle charge rate.

*With 6V per unit, one can put them in parallel arrangemnet and enjoy HLG
winch without turning it to butterfly.

*Copper is known with poor temperature resistive coefficient. In other
words, a poor choice for current*resistance=voltage means. A much
preferable means is by current=>magnetic=>displacement.

YK Chan
Seattle area