good post, where can I get the spreadsheet?
regards
Eben

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Garton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 08 October 1999 09:33
To: Martin Brungard; RCSE
Subject: [RCSE] Re: Composite Material Design Stress

Martin Brungard wrote:

> I wondered what others were using for the allowable
> tension and compression stresses for various
> composite materials.
>
>                Tension        Compression
> carbon      250,000psi        56,500psi
> kevlar       43,000psi        20,000psi
> S glass     128,000psi        57,000psi

The numbers you quoted from Ollie are realistic.

It is dangerous to use "standard" numbers given by a
manufacturer or in a textbook for composites.
Metals may have standard values but composites do not.

There is just too mutch variation in the results.
The compression numbers can vary by more than
a factor of ten.  These are usually the most important
numbers too.  The real aerospace engineers make a
sample, instrument it, and take new data each time
they change a composite layup.  You can go real
conservative to avoid testing but then the plane
is heavy and/or weak.