I'd like to know what the consensus is on gap seal tape.  I would be using
it to seal gaps on the ailerons of a carbon over foam wing.

I've refrained from using it because the Airtronics tape I have on hand
seems awful thick.  I don't know how thick the Airtronics tape is  (don't
have my calipers handy), but I see that Planes-Wings-Things has some 0.75"
wide, 0.003" thick gap seal tape.

So my first question is do the benefits of sealing the gap outweigh the
negative aspects of the tape thickness?

Another observation is that it looks like the gap tape seal would work best
on the somewhat concave (reflexed) shape of the wing on the bottom of the
aileron hinge line, but not as well on the convex shape of the wing on the
top of the flap hinge line.  This assumes top hinged ailerons and bottom
hinged flaps. Is this the case, especially when you consider the higher
pressure on the bottom of the wing?

I am primarily interested in sealing the wide aileron gap on the bottom of
the wing, I am not as concerned with the much narrower flap gap on the top
of the wing.

Thanks,

John Ihlein
Albuquerque, NM