I have had this little project in the back of my head
for a long time.  Why can't you setup a bicycle rear
mechanism perpendicular to the winch line.  Launching,
the retiever line would bail out normally, finish your
flight, land, walk up to the bicycle retriever and
"crank" the winch line in.  Obviously this wouldn't be
used for contests, but for sport flying it'd be
great(maybe it'd be OK for contests).  You wouldn't
need to "walk for the winch line". You wouldn't need
to buy a retriever, wouldn't need a second battery,
wouldn't need a second person to be around that could
operate a "real" retriever.  And whats the difference
if you do that or walk out, pick up the end of the
winch line and walk it back?  They both drag the winch
line along the ground.  If you do have a second person
around, he might be able to crank it in before the
winch line hits the ground.  Manufacturing would not
be all that difficult and should be reasonably priced.
 Just a thought.

Fred Guilfoyle

=====