I think you may be playing with the wrong parameter. The wire temperature
should be set to produce the maximum number of threads trailing the cut but
not so hot that it produces an orange peal texture to the cut. When you get
the temperature right leave it alone. I cut at a much higher speed with less
meltback and more wire sag. The foam pressure on the wire at a higher
cutting speed will dampen the ripples produced by melt back. So, try
increasing the weight on the pulley system till the ripples subside. Make
some tail surface cores for practise. They will be less expensive
experiments. You can tell when you have too much wire sag by the lack of
uniformity along the trailing edge.

Compared to what it costs to go to college these days, your "tuition" in the
form of ruined cores is a knowledge bargain.

Regards, Ollie