If you are going to design your own,  Check out the Persuasion 48 inch
span sloper at:
http://www.ts3.org/rsa/persuasn.htm  or at:
http://members.aol.com/tsteelhead/crash.html

I use pink foam for this plane and it is a very easy material to work
with. It sands very easily with drywall screen, I like the 200 grit and
is pretty rigid by itself. I have been using strapping tape and packing
tape to make a very resilient and inexpensive plane. For a spar the
basswood is good or you can go to the archery section of the sporting
good store and find broken carbon arrows for cheap, they are about 2
bucks in my town.

The version I have been flying lately wieghs 14 ozs and I have cut a
ballast box into the fuse(the beauty of foam) for some lead slugs I made
by cutting lengths of lead wire and then dipping them in
"plasti-dip"(don't need any more lead exposure after a childhood of
opening split shot with my teeth!) I can add about 5 or so ozs this way
for extra wind.

If you wind up designing your own feel free to e-mail me with questions.
I can send you info/photos if you have questions about the tape
techniques.

Mike in Arcata