Joe and I finished our flight tests on the Spectre 2-meter a little early
this afternoon, so we did some ground investigations of the effects of
steel BB's and of lead shot on radio range. We were concerned that a large
mass of conductive metal pellets (and magnetic too in the case of steel
BB's) in close proximity to the antenna where it goes past the ballast
compartment on the way to the tail might have some adverse effects.

The test method has a significant effect on the results. In general, for
the conditions most like flight operations (ground test, but with the
rubber ducky Tx antenna unrestricted), it appears that the steel shot does
reduce range significantly, although the resulting range may still be
adequate. If you plan to fly at long distances you might want to avoid
steel ballast.

Lead ballast (the large-size split-shot fishing sinkers from the sporting
goods section at Meijer's) does not seem to reduce the ground range
significantly when using the rubber ducky antenna on Joe's JR transmitter,
the only major problem was my sore feet from having to walk so far for two
sets of tests.

If anyone else has investigated this question, we'd like to hear from you.

Don Stackhouse @ DJ Aerotech
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.bright.net/~djwerks/