While building a RPV Cyclone (EPP) for the SR2K 60 inch
Sportsman Class, I decided to mount my servo upright to
aid in future maintenance.  This made routing the elevator
control rod a little tough because the CF longeron runs
down the side.  I decided it would be even better if the
control rod ran down the middle of the EPP fuse and
exit dead center of the fuse at the rear.  I came up with
this method for doing so.  If someone has done this before
this way, then this will be a review since I have not seen
it mentioned anywhere and I feel compelled to share
since it was so easy this way...

I used the following items...
Sullivan plastic control rod (red sleeve, yellow splined rod)
3/32 piece of piano wire, full length
brass tube, same length, OD just fits inside red control rod sleeve
propane torch or some small open flame

WARNING - do this in a well ventilated area and keep open
flame away from EPP.  Do not breath melting EPP fumes.

Starting from the rear of the fuse, I heated the tip of the piano
wire and let it melt its way through the EPP, keeping an eye
on the angle so it was heading toward the cockpit where it
the control rod will connect to the servo.  DO NOT PUSH
the piano wire, it will bend and start curving the tunnel toward
the side of the fuse.  Take your time, you will have to remove
the wire, reheat and re-insert several times.

I had already hollowed out a section in the wing mount area
for wiring and ballast, so as soon as the wire got to there,
I began again from the cockpit.  Once complete, insert the
piano wire through the tunnel and let it protrude through
both ends.

>From the tail end, slip the brass tubing over the piano wire
to about 4 inches from the fuse.  Heat the brass tube, KEEP
THE EPP AWAY FROM THE FLAME.  Let the tube eat its way
through the fuse allowing the piano wire to guide it straight
toward the front.  Again, take your time, reheat and re-insert
when necessary, do not push hard on the tubing.

When through to the cockpit, remove the piano wire, turn
off the flame, leave the brass tubing protruding from both
ends and let it cool.  Now slip the red control rod sleeve
over the brass tube and push it through from the rear
to the front.  It may be too tight, just heat the tubing
and re-insert a few times, then let it cool again.

When you have the red control rod sleeve protruding at
both ends, remove the brass tubing.  Put a little epoxy
on both ends of the control rod sleeve to glue it to the
fuse.  Trim to fit.  You now have a no slop control rod
system from the elevator through the middle of the EPP
fuse.

Jerry R. Craft VWP Ni-Dan
Radio Control Angi-San
Wk 858-320-4128