To everyone on the exchange, a hardy, happy new millennium, I hope that you are not having to use a generator or something tomorrow evening.

You know, when you think about it, we have really had a heck of a seat to watch some of the neatest things that have ever occurred on the earth, good and bad.  But when it comes to aviation and it's related fields, you cannot help but shake your head in awe at what has been accomplished, and mainly in the past fifty years where most of us have been able to see it first hand.

In RC soaring, I have been watching since 1975, and things have definitely come a long from flying a Legionaire or Grand Esprit, but the neat thing about our community is that we have our history and we fly it at most every contest(at least someone does).  Even though I would definitely qualify as a go for it flier in Unlimited contests, I love flying my Grand Esprit and XC ship every bit as much as my Emerald.  There are many days I would rather fly the Grand as anything, it has become the challenge to conquer just as much as the Emerald.  Full house ships have that appeal of preciseness, speed, and unparalleled strength, but to fly that Grand to it's limits requires more concentration and forethought than any six channel ship I have ever flown in TD contests(Launching is a good example).  Lets face facts, if you have your stuff together, you can about put a six channel ship anywhere, anytime(I know that is not an absolute, look at any score sheet).

When I hear folks talking about RES and wrangling about the rules, I just kind of shake my head.  This is the simplest class to regulate that there is, three functions(no ailerons, so no Zagis), spoilers have to be a certain place and only act as spoilers, however you want to build it and set it up, come and play!  If you look at the Nats, where I think the rules are correct for RES, you see a mix of all types of structures and styles of planes there, and little bit of all of them place.

Hey, It is not even January 1st, and we have all winter to rehash all the problems of our world of soaring.  I CANNOT WAIT!

Marc Gellart, Lima, Ohio

PS:  OVSS Schedule will be out soon!