>What if....since the maps I have seen use color differentiation to denote
>height..write a program to digitize the color information.  Then write and
>algorithm to look for certain rapid differentiation's.  Since color is
stored
>as 3 types of color (varying amounts of red, blue, green) a rapid change in
>one of these colors could mark that piece of land to further investigation.
>Determining the size and direction of the slope would be another problem all
>together.  But for a small area, say a state, it might be feasible to narrow
>possible sites down by hand.

That would actually work out pretty good.   Generally, the color maps are
generated from digital data to begin with, so if we could get that data
somewhere, we'd be well on the way.

My first post was tongue in cheek, of course - at least the section about
analyzing the graphics.

The second section is quite do-able, if the data is available and ... ahem
... I spend a few months teaching myself the software techniques/algorithms
for analyzing this stuff.   :)

--
    -swb- (Steven Bixby, [EMAIL PROTECTED])