----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; RCSE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 What other wind directions are named in your locale?

 We have "Diablo" wind in the San Francisco Bay Area when the wind is Easterly.

 What is the "Sirocco", for example, or the "Chinook", "Foehn", "Mistral" ... etc.?

 Just curious.

      I imagine that most wind events that are "named" are local non-typical winds and
that the
 majority of these; at least on the west coast, are East winds. Here in Southern CA,
when we get a
 large high pressure system sitting out over the four corners area, the clockwise
rotation produces
 strong offshore (East) wind, which carries warm dry air in from the desert. Of the
ones you
 mentioned, the only one that I'm familiar with is the "Chinook", which occurs in the
northwest. It
 is associated with a warm east wind in Washington and Oregon that typically (and
rapidly) melts off
 alot of snow on the East side of the Cascade range. Hope you get the Diablo. Where in
the Bay area
 is Vollmer Peak? I know the Concord/Walnut Creek area fairly well.
                                                                         Ken J.