Greg,

Two things come to mind. Your elevons had too much up in them and you didn't
have time to give it some down after you launched it...and you mentioned how
your Boomerang flew OK "after getting beyond the launch area." Sometimes one
can avoid this initial blast at the slope rim by walking down the slope just a
bit below the rim...if your slope will allow that!

I have flown my Boomerang in much higher winds also without ballast but when
it's gusty I know I have to react quickly after launch to keep it from
ballooning if I have too much up elevon. That is true with almost all my
wings, Zagi, Red Herrings, ect.

Good Flying

Ed Harris
Ankeny, IA