Designing the aero part doesn't matter, wood or composite.

Desigining the structures is similar, but the wood structure is more effort. Same with building.

Many of them end up with glass fuselages anyway so it's a toss up.
Both end up with carbon spars. That's a no brainer if you want to winch launch anything. If you were just doing electrics, you can still build a wood wing if you want to carry the extra weight. But building a really strong wood wing takes a lot of material.

They all end up "composites" anyway. They all use epoxy to some extent. Wood is just some cellulose composite structure anyway.

What's disappointing is the lack of effort on the composite side. It's an american thing. Everyone wants to do everything themselves but doing a full molded model works out better if you have different people doing different parts.