The sun was out and it was about 45 deg F when I left the house this morning, and my Air Hog saw it's shadow.

    Six more weeks of GPS.

    So I stopped at a little park in Grandview on my way to work and flew the Air Hog Aero Ace in the still morning air.

    In case you have been living in a cave, the Air Hog Aero Ace is that rarest of commodities, a $30 toy radio control airplane that actually flies pretty well.  For $30 you get an all EPP airframe, a small lipoly battery and two motors with pusher props that serve as both power and controls; and a small but decent transmitter that also serves as the battery charger.

    They all are tail heavy, or have too much decalage, so I added nose weight in the form of landing gear, making my Air Hog a tail dragger.

    OK, Gordy, here is the soaring connection.  I have learned that once you launch the Air Hog and get the throttle trimmed out, you can fly the little plane with the steering trim knob.   I set up a nice thermal turn, and watched the Air Hog circle itself into the sky.    I have watched Mark Gellart do this with his RES/NOS planes at the NATS, and that's where I learned this technique.

    Stupidly I let it get so high I lost orientation, and the Air Hog drifted over the tall woods on the big hill behind the park.   I had a tense few minutes before I managed to bring the plane down low enough that I could steer it and get it back over the field to a happy landing at my feet.

    Happy Air Hog Day everyone.

Tom H. Nagel

Judicium Procurator
Recuperatio