On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:35:29AM -0600, Morris McKenna wrote:

|    Andrew, take a look at this web site.   [1]www.slkelectronics.com  I
|    think it will show you how an Alpha 4 can be used to charge  Li-Po
|    batteries.

The Alpha4's hardware is obviously physically capable of properly
charging a LiPo battery, but the firmware does not support it.  So
until there's an update for it, it's a no-no.  (And at this point, it
doesn't sound like there will ever be such an update.)

In theory, you can use almost any NiCd or NiMH charger to charge even
LiPo cells if you properly watched the charge rates and voltage and
stopped it manually at the appropriate time, but considering that LiPo
cells are *ruined* by even one overcharge and sometimes will even
catch fire due to it, I'd never ever suggest even attempting this
except under some very rare conditions, and then only if you know what
you're doing and take all the needed precautions.  It would really
suck for your house to burn down just because the phone rang and you
forgot to watch your charger ...

As for this LiPoAdapter at slkelectronics, it looks like it will make
it work and do so safely, but considering that the Alpha 4 is capable
of only a 1 A charge rate *total*, it seems like a big waste.

LiPo cells are easy to charge, at least from a charger design
persepctive.  The circuitry needed to do so is even simpler than the
circuitry needed to do peak detection for NiCd and NiMH cells, so
chargers are available very cheaply.

|    Personally, I think purchasing a good Li-Po charger is the
|    best way to go. Morris

Absolutely.  I'd suggest either getting a dedicated LiPo charger, or
something like the Triton that can do it all.  Don't mess with things
like this LiPoDapter -- while it might be useful in some cases (like
if you need high currents and already have a NiCd charger that can
provide them), it also costs more than a low-end (but still perfectly
functional) dedicated LiPo charger will.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 Can ya dig it?