Seems the Ginzel Spectra has something in common with Alpha 4, they both have problems keeping up with supply, (not sure about demand).
http://www.magtechinc.net/ginzel.htm

Steve Meyer
SOAR, LSF IV

At 07:08 AM 2/9/2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 I never have figured out why the Alpha 4 lovers are so darned loyal, but that's OK. Battery chargers aren't anything but a fancy power supply, but some are indeed shiny and more user friendly than others.

I have a Ginzel Spectra that will charge any battery pack I've ever had, if you push the right buttons. From teeny tiny 3 cell DLG packs to my 3 bank marine lead acid monster in the bass boat, the Ginzel can do the deed. NiCd, NiMH, LiPo, Lead Acid, whatever.

BUT, with a LiPo battery pushing the wrong buttons can be pretty ugly. Accordingly, I also got a dedicated LiPo charger to do those with. I always remove the pack from the airframe and charge it in a safe spot. Indoors that means an old ammo can or fire safe.

Happy trails - Rob Glover
------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 20:38:48 -1000
From: "glide" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <soaring@airage.com>
Subject: RE: [RCSE]

The Alpha 4 is a great concept but as mentioned, it is quite old technology.
But I'm wondering why hasn't other manufacturers hasn't come out with an
Alpha 4 killer?  How about a battery maintenance system that will work with
all types of batteries and have four or more outputs like the Alpha 4?  Is
this basic concept of the Alpha 4 proprietary?  I have all the different
rechargeable batteries that are utilized in R/C from NiCad's, nimh, lipos,
to wet gel cells.  An Orbit charger does charge all these batteries BUT has
only one output.  I don't like the OEM slow chargers because they don't
switch to trickle charge when the batteries are fully charged.

I hope that my Alpha 4 lives a while longer but I wish that a manufacturer
would develop a new battery maintenance system that has all what the Litco
charger has and then some.  Also, this new system should be mass produced
without the ordering restrictions Litco puts on their Alpha 4.

Aloha to all on RCSE.

Al Battad - AMA #506981