Just getting back to things after the long weekend.  I've got the raccoon
eyes face after looking into a very strong Arizona sun for 3 days.  George
Joy and his crew did a great job running the contest.  It's no small feat to
host a 180 pilot meet.  You need a CD, an impound director, winch master,
multiple landing judges, catering company, marketing company and graphic
artist for the t-shirts.  The CASA volunteers were there the whole weekend
hosting, and if it wasn't for their effort we wouldn't have anything to
discuss.

There were weather reports for Saturday predicting winds out of the east at
15-25.  I wasn't too worried about the Icon, but I brought along two pounds
for the Topaz.  The morning seemed calm enough so I didn't ballast up for
the first round, a 4 minute flight.  I was the very first flight of the
contest, and with a slight downwind launch I was off.  I pinged off the top,
turned into the wind, and proceeded to drift backwards towards California.
It wasn't 25 mph up there, but it wasn't even close to what you felt on the
ground.  Probably about 12-13 mph, enough to stop the RES planes in their
tracks.  It was relatively smooth, however, and if you just flew without
touching the sticks you could make your time.

The landing zone was a box runway, the center square worth 25 points, the
next boxes on either side worth 15 and the end boxes worth 5.  The width was
only about 20", so if you had any crosswind (most of the weekend) it wasn't
an easy shot.

Rounds 2 and 3 were part of the add-em-up with a 10 minute max.  Thermals
started popping but the wind had a pretty big influence.  You couldn't have
one ride for the full 10, you needed about 2 or 3 thermals, unless you had
great eyes.  Lots of off field landings.  Round 3 had a killer sink cycle in
it.  Daryl P. had something like a 5:25, I had a 3:13...and a DQ for
circling low over the pits.  So much for my Open score.  In all fairness we
had been warned; the landing judge signed my card, but when I got back to
impound George took me aside and told me I was getting zeroed for the
flight.  I understand the decision, coming on the heels of some spectacular
vaporization of planes that landed on power lines.  I don't know if you've
seen or heard a smoked plane up close, but you get an idea of what
cartoonist must think off when they draw something getting zapped.  In one
case the line was severed and still sparking.  A minute later there was a
second bzzzrrap that sounded like a sound check at a Pink Floyd concert.
Most likely a transformer circuit blowing out on reset.

Because of a slow start, the 4th round of the add-em-up was called off, so
the three flights were a 23 minute task.  Sunday morning there was a 5
minute task, the third round of the add-em-up, then a 8 minute flight to end
the contest.  The conditions Sunday were much the same but calmer in the
morning.

Larry Jolly won RES on his last flight, beating out Joe Nave by a landing.
Both those two would have been in 3rd and 4th place in Open, so the RES
planes did more than hold their own.  Mike Reagan got 3rd in RES flying his
AVA.  He also got 9th in Open flying his Supra.  Oh yeah, the AVA score was
higher than the Supra score :-)

Daryl won the whole thing because he was, as usual, a landing machine.
Incredible control of the Insanity and great thermalling as well.  Joe
rallied at the end to get 2nd place.  Joseph Newcomb got third flying his
Espada.  He is on the USA F3J Junior team.  I had the pleasure of being on
the same team during the Team Trials in Denver this summer, and Joseph
continued his fearless flying style that most people just don't see.  I mean
that seriously.  I don't think half the guys in the contest could see where
he was flying.  He has eyes like an eagle, and all his landings were done
without a skeg.  Try that crosswind on a runway landing.

Barry Kennedy was there with lots of toys.  I don't think he had many Supras
left, but I hate to break the suspense.  The Supras didn't win it all.  It
is a beautiful plane but once and for all, it's the pilot who wins the
contest.  Oh, except in hand launch.  Joe, Larry and me all flying Blasters
:-)

JE
--
Erickson Architects