At 09:23 PM 2/21/2006, Mark Drela wrote:

The all-moving Supra stab is aerodynamically balanced,
so the stab servo loads from the airload are minimal.

The only loads the stab servo will see is due to the
inertial load when the boom "cracks the whip" in the zoom.

That is one of the reasons my stabs pivot around the rear wire. I also clamp the stab to the front wire with very small wheel collars. I never lose a stab in flight and the weight of the front wire and wheel collars almost balances the stab about the pivot. Clamping the front wire to the horn also means that the weight of the stab horn also contributes to balancing the stab about the pivot. I then sweep the stab as necessary to put the pivot at 25% MAC. I started doing this back in 1974 to reduce the chances of stab flutter. Those obsessed with minimizing weight could leave off the wheel collars and still reduce the inertia loads. :-)

Chuck Anderson

PS The stab sweep also helps me identify my model in a gaggle. :-)