In a message dated 2/23/2006 8:13:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
 But it is clear that we need more power/range
than what current 802.11x can offer.  Hence we will need to use
another band and since we are peripheral RF users, being assigned
more bandwidth or a new spectrum from the FCC will not happen.

Not really.  The data bandwidth needed to control a model airplane at least as well as we do today is tiny, as is the RF power over the relatively short line of sight ranges involved.  You are quite right that a low population/priority user such as hobby RC is not going to get any dedicated piece of the very precious/fixed available RF spectrum (and we may very well lose the shared 72MHz use we now have).  The good news is that advancing technology to get the most out of that spectrum makes such unnecessary.  Current capability to dump a little data signal into the ether and pull it out of the grass at the other end is awesome.  Compatible other user populations in the 10s to 100s of millions make it readily available and cheap.  RC on 802.11x is the first example, and we haven't even begun to find the limits/optimize our use of it.  Horizon's DX6 offering and subsequent initial hobbyist experimentation show that it's an easy modular upgrade to most our existing Tx (never mind the unhelpful twit who has already forced a preliminary CYA position by the AMA that such experimentation is "Illegal"!!?).  The next 6 mos - year could be pretty exciting, I think.  The price of admission is new Tx modules and Rxs, (and they shouldn't cost any more than the same items today if the RC industry isn't too greedy!).  Good Lift!