I have a truck this year, but need a team so that Skip and Antonio can at least have a chance to fly.  It was tough for Antonio Q and Skip S, who stood around most of the two days with me never being able to get very far.  I am greatful for the others who helped also.  Skip has been great for the last several years helping me and supplying the vehicle.  The great thing last time was being able to at least do the aerotow during such bad weather that XC was basically dead.  Of course, from the way it sounds, it created some kind of "issues".  I was told I was the only one who posted times in both events.

Anyway, this year I need a spotter and driver, and I guess a forth person to watch another team, so I can (maybe) finally get my 10K out of the way.  It's really tough when the team has three people who need to fly.  In the normal XC any team member can take the radio and fly the plane during the event, but with doing LSF task, it's a one man thing.  And if by chance I get it done or it's crappy, it would be nice to be able to do the aerotow like before.

Tom

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 9:29 PM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] XC at Nats

Skip,
    I will take each paragraph one at a time.

You seem rather hard over on this, but based on my past experience as an entrant and sometime CD of a dozen + XC events (and I helped Dennis some as a volunteer at Nats 2004), I would like to offer some considerations for significantly increasing participation and entry fees - good things I think?!

1. Why NOT allow  contestants to enter both the winch-launch and scale aerotow events if they wish (on the same freq, naturally)?  One COULD do that in 2004 (and with one entry fee then - no distinction made!).  Let them figure how to budget their time between two, they certaintly can't fly both at the same time!  If there are extended periods of lousy lift (as during most of the 2004 event!), the option to go play aerotow might be a welcome alternative (if teammates agree) to slogging back and forth retrieving the winch lines, circling in sink, etc.  Side comment - clear ground rules to avoid "landings out" interference to the F3B folks is a need.

For the last five cyles of the B and XC weekend, this is how this has been done.  I realize that it seems easy to do this, but it is the opinion of our groupt that it could create issues and really, you are not getting your money's worth as a contestant.  Yes, LSF might make more income, but cleanly segregating the groups keeps management of them easier.