One other little $20 item that has saved quite a few gliders in our club is the SkyKing Lost Model Locater. http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/accessories/lostmodel/lost_rc_model_alarm.html

Not only does it tell you how many volts you have (under load) with 4 or 5 cell RX packs and, of course, loudly screech a variety of sounds so you can find your lost glider in the worst of terrain, but when your battery level drops too low it beeps constantly to warn you of that dangerous condition. I'll admit the in-flight low battery alarm is of more use to slope & HLG fliers, who keep their gliders in closer than thermal or task flyers, but it can be very handy if your plane goes down regardless of how you fly. It costs way less than a Picolario too, so you can put one in every plane you fly, whether you use FM or PCM. It's saved my molded gliders a few times when my RX pack emptied faster than I thought it would, besides the countless times it has helped me find a downed glider.

I've tried several lost model locaters, but this is the only one I've seen that does more than just beep...beep...beep, and is much easier to hear from afar than the rest I've seen.

Of course I also like the idea of redundant batteries & switches. Surely Mouser or some other electronics supplier has better switches than the ones we're using though, right? Has anyone found an especially high-quality switch that they like which is compatible with RC systems?

Jeff Thompson