I have a grasshopper winch for sale $250.

Tom

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:53 AM
Subject: [RCSE] Re: "NiCad" powered winch for DLGs, Anyone built one?

Re: "NiCad" powered winch for DLGs, Anyone built one?

I heard of an experimental one made using the gearing and bail of a fishing reel hooked to rc truck motor.  There was also a gizmo marketed called the "Grasshopper", which used a hand-cranked spring to spin a winch. The fishing reel thing was done as a lark by some Asian-American chap as I recall, the Grasshopper may be out of production now, as it was every bit the price of many conventional winches.

I think some folks in your position use a short bungee instead of a full histart. The bungie may only take 20 feet on he ground, if the footprint is your difficulty. Certainly cost wise the bungie is your better bet.

Can I ask why you need *any*  of these to launch a discus-launch glider? That's sort of the whole point of the thing.... Medical reasons? Then I'd sling  a power pod on the thing myself.