On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Jeff Thompson wrote:

Case in point: A couple of weeks ago I had to replace a compressor for a new Ductless-Split air conditioner (those little rectangular Japanese A/C's like Samsung, Mitsubishi, etc.) Someone had cut the refrigerant lines in order to steal maybe $1 of copper, and the compressor continued to run without being cooled & oiled. In short order the compressor burnt out and fouled with very smelly acid. IMO that's what would happen with your window-unit vacuum pump.

The situation is little bit different whem you use the compressor for creating vacuum and not just let it run free.

If it runs, connected to nowhere (as in your case) it will overheat. If it is connected to vacuum bag it will evacuate all the air very quickly, become quiet and do not overheat.

If full vacuum is all you need (like in case of bagging the blue foam) then this compressor will work just fine running continously. If you bleed some air into the sucking side (intentionally in order to reduce the pressure or by leaking bag) then it will become hot and needs cooling fan.

Sometimes when I manage to get a perfectly sealed bag the compressor will be just slightly warm after running 24h.

It will mist some oil from the outlet side - but not very much. You should make sure that there is oil inside pump. When you turn pump upside down the oil will flow out. If you get new pump you normally do not know how it is handled, so it is best to add some new oil. I used cheapeast mineral oil for 4 stroke gasoline engines. First I added it too much so that pump did not even start. Poured some out until it started and kept like that.

regards,
Arne