You want a simple answer?
Yes
Mostly

The image signal is not really generated at all. The image is an
artifact of the mixing in the receiver which produces the sum and
difference frequencies of the desired signal and the local oscillator.

I am wondering what scanner you are using?
Most scanners for the bands we use will have a first IF (intermediate
frequency) of 10.7Mhz and will usually not see the +/- 455Khz image.
They might see the +/- 10.7Mhz image depending on how well the
receiver is designed and built.

Single conversion receivers (especially small, light RC receivers) are
likely to hear the image if there is a signal on that frequency and it
may cause interferance if the signal is strong enough.

Dual conversion receivers rarely have problems from image pickup.

If your scanner is a single conversion then looking at the image
frequencies tells you nothing useful because you can't tell if the
signal is the image in the scanner or a real signal out in the air.

This is a simple look at a complex subject that fills many books. It
is possible to get into it a bit more but best to try and focus on
your situation so you don't get overloaded.

michael N6CHV  AMA77292