Jim,
Found this link talking about various tapes. The most recommended is the 3M #845 used for book repair
http://www.amadistrictii.org/cjrcc/Articles/hinge_tape.html
This may have similar properties to the #853

I found this library supply company which sells the #845
http://www.vernonlibrarysupplies.com/cgi-bin/vernlib.cgi/results_prod.html?catcode=1027&maincatcode=1022