You wouldn't put it on the bias on the spar, you would use prepreg on the spar.
The bias is for the wing.

Jon Stone wrote:

Jeff,

Depends if the author desires strengthening the spar for launch, or making the wing torsionally stiff. He didn't say. Either way, I'd avoid the carbon mat, as it typically soaks up a lot of epoxy.

Actually on the 45 it prevents torsion roll of the wing on launch, but you won't launch the Alcyone hard enough with that wing rod so I would only cap the spar. Don't add the weight of the skin
Mine was more than strong, I kept bending wing rods. I had to be gentle

Why would you put CF on the bias and then put it only over the spar?

Again, knowing the rest of the plane is not made for gorilla launches, adding .007 precured uni-carbon over & under the spar would be more than adequate for this plane.

Jon

--
Jeff Steifel
908-996-1377