Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 12:58:37 -0500
From: David Register <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Soaring@airage.com
Subject: Re: Why turn off the IPD filter.

Don't know if I'm the only one with this experience but both Rxs that I've used with DSP and other front end signal processing have failed miserably in my discus planes. These are the Sombra 7 and the FMA M5V2.

I had (still have) very good response from my standard M5s (no longer available) but get lock-outs and swamping with the V2 at contests. Same with the Sombra, even after the temperature problem had been addressed. They are both retired now.

Not limited to low and slow and coming back. I have several metal roof buildings at the field where I fly and both these Rxs run into problem within several hundred feet of these structures. My Futaba's, Hitec E6's and old M5's go through these regions without any problems but both of the other units tend to go crazy, lock out and crash. I suspect that the bounce from the metal roof presents a stronger signal than the direct path RF and the slight time offset confuses the filtering circuitry.

This is probably an excellent technology but may not be fine-tuned yet for some applications?

- Dave R