I thought you might be "surprised" by its overall look, but I swear,
half the reason it gets made fun of so much is because it just flies so
well.  It came on the scene and beat a lot of much more expensive, much
prettier ships.  A lot of people out there got beat by some ugly*,
inexpensive planes.

Most of the Mantises (Mantii?) had an MH32 airfoil (some 7037s), bagged
foam with a carbon tube spar. 3 piece wing, held on with a single bolt,
room in the wing mount for ballast.  Phil Barnes put them out for a long
time, not sure if he still does tho. There are still a lot out there,
and except for the week before Nats, they're usually moderately easy to
find.

I flew against one of the 2 meter versions this weekend - it is strong
and light, and it really handles (turns and lands) extremely well.
Again, the biggest knock has always been how they look.

Good luck, hope you find something good -

Brent

*I always mean the fuse pod / wing mount - the wings always looked like
they longed to be on another ship.....