At 10:40 AM 7/31/2006, you wrote:
The real question is "why fly different classes in the first place?".  If
the tasks are all the same, then why change to planes that have less
functionality or lower capability? Even F3J contests are just TD with a man tow. So why are there
different events for the same thing?

LSF first divided soaring into two classes sometime before 1973. By 1973, the SOAR Nats had grown so large that they decided to adopt the LSF class system in order to award more trophies without awarding trophies so far down the list. After all, a fourth place trophy sounds better than a 10th place trophy for the same score. As I remember, 100 inch span was chosen because about half the fliers had models with wing spans over 100 inches and there were a lot of kits with wing spans between 90 and 100 inches on the market. At least that was the explanation given when the SOAR Nats established standard class as models with wing spans up to 100 inches according to an article published in Sailplane. I could look it up but I am too lazy to search my collection of Sailplane magazines. :-)

Chuck Anderson RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News. Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off. Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL are generally NOT in text format