I have seen Troy Lawicki use one that retracted into the fuse.  Good thing too since
it was made from aluminum and the forward edge was sickle shaped.  The bottom edge
could have chiseled someone's head open!  He used it in the correct manner thou, he
allowed the plane to slide on the
grass before exposing the hook.  When he pulled the switch, the plane stopped within 6
inches!!!